RE: MGF Tyres

TYRES, TYRES, TYRES

I have done my best to collate all the responses to this query, and these are listed below.

In future could I ask you to respond directly to the website and not to me. The idea is to get the website Q and A forum in use and running.

Nevertheless, many thanks for your replies! Peter

Toyo make tires in the correct size fit the F that are reasonable in terms of grip and wear. I cannot recommend Hankooks which I have also run, and while there are Khumo tires right for the rear, they are a little soft for road use.

As a side point it is also worth checking in the PSI of any tire you put on. On my car there is a recommended 26 - 28 PSI, 32 on the rears felt horrid and the same tires were much better at a lower PSI.

Evan McCarthy

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your enquiry on the web.

Apologies to hear that you have not found the Hifly tyres as good as the Vitora. Both these brands are made in the same factory and are in fact the same ‘green’ tyre.

The biggest issue here is that 205/50R15 is quite an unusual size in the NZ market now and the factory does not produce some of the smaller volume sizes in the Vitora brand.

The only other brand we bring into NZ in this size is the Maxxis MAZ3 https://www.maxxistyres.co.nz/tyres/passenger-and-performance/maz3-victra

We have both 185/55R15 and 195/55R15 available in Vitora though.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Kenny Burgess

Vitora Tyres, Australia

MARCH 2014

TYRE TECHNICAL TIP FOR MGF AND TF OWNERS

In the May 2011 issue of the Club magazine (available 24/7 for members to read on the Club website) we published details of tyre testing done by MG Motor and SMTC from which two new tyre recommendations for MG Motor TFs and earlier MG Rover TFS fitted with 16" wheels was announced.

Since that time one of the recommended tyres, the Falken ZEIX ZE912 is ending production and stocks are reducing It has been replaced by the Falken ZEIX ZE914 and recently SAIC'S UK Technical Centre (SMTO based at MG Birmingham at Longbridge has evaluated the new tyre and now recommends it in addition to the previously recommended tyres.

The original recommendation for MGF and TF with 16" wheels was the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2, which became difficult to obtain before the previous tyre tests, and which drove the need for those tests. Following this the Toyo Proxes TIR and the Falken ZEIX ZE912 tyres were recommended. All three of these tyres continue to be recommended and they are now joined by the Falken ZEIX ZE914, the full description of which is shown below...

MGF and TFs with 15" diameter wheels have usually worked well with any of the recommended tyres for 16" wheels in the appropriate 15" sizes, 185/55 x 15 front and 205/50 x 15 rears. It is expected that this will apply with the Falken ZEIX ZE914 as well. but it should be noted that no official tyre testing has been done with MGF or TF with 15" wheels Note MGF tyre pressures are 26psi front and 28psi rear. MG Rover TF uses 26psi front and 36psi rear for pre 2005 model year cars and for 2005 model year on cars the rear pressure is 32psi.

Falken ZEIX ZE914

195/45 x 16 84V (front) 215/40 x 16 86W (rear)

FALKEN's new 21DX ZE914

Combination of wet grip performance, reduced rolling resistance and clever features to extend the tyreslife sets FALKENS new ZIEX ZE914 premium tyre apart

It is recommended that whichever tyre is chosen that it be fitted as a complete car set (.e. all four tyres). Mixing tyres across the same axle is seriously not recommended. Mixing tyres front to rear is also not recommended, and most handling, braking and steering deficiencies can be attributed to a mix of tyres and/or the use of cheap non recommended replacements (Mixing also includes not using a different model or sub model of tyre from the same tyre manufacturer).

Although the legal minimum tread depth in the UK is 1.6mm across the contact patch, tyre manufacturers will advise that wet grip deteriorates below 3mm.

Tyre pressures will be found in the vehicle handbook 26psi front and 36 psi rear will suit MG Rover TFs with 16" wheels and MG Motor TF 135s and LE500. MG Motor TF 85th Anniversary cars run 30psi front, 35psi rear."

Whilst the above recommendations are specifically for MG TFS with 16" wheels, MGFS with 16" wheels can use the same recommendations. Where the MGF fitting is for 215/40x16 all-round then this size should be retained. Original tyre pressures should also be used; 24psi front and 28pst rear.

Article sent in by Michael Anderson

MG TF Tyres, the continuing story

The safety issues that surround the use of correct matching tyres on MGF and TF is a critical aspect of being able to enjoy these cars and there is a clear and present danger when owners mix tyres and often these are of spurious makes that the first time speeds exceed 50 mph that the car will want to leave the road. We make no apology for continually ramming

home this point to ensure that those seeing the superb value when looking to buy an MGF or TF, and coming in blind, have this information front and centre in order that they do not encounter the frightening situations that have affected some owners simply from not knowing how much of an impact the wrong or mixed tyres can have.

The two currently available MG Motor approved tyres are the Toyo Proxes T1R and the Falken ZEIX ZE914 in the original 16" sizes. Whilst MG Motors approval relates to their version of the TF, the previous MG Rover TF and MGF before it have such very similar chassis characteristics that what is good for the MG Motor TF cascades down to the earlier models in those models original tyre sizes and operating pressures. It is also important to be aware that approval extends to using just one make and model of tyre on all four wheels; a matching set.

Indications are that Falken will be reducing availability of the ZEIX ZE914 and having its role replaced by their new ZEIX ZE310, an approach was made to MG Motor for them to provide similar testing of the new tyre to their previous tyre testing before they applied their approval, unfortunately MG Motor are unable to commit to further testing. However, the original Rover/MG Rover engineers, Andy Kitson and Alan Phillips, who were responsible for setting up the MGF and TF, (and other Rover and MG cars), and were also responsible for completing all tyre testing for MG approval stepped in and offered tyre testing assistance, through their highly respected Vehicle Handlings Solutions Ltd, (VHS Ltd www.vehiclehandlingsolutions.com).

Whilst this recent testing did not include the specific MIRA track testing of previous testing, the road testing process was exactly the same as applied to all previously approved tyres for MGF and TF, and was done on the same routes that that previous testing was done on. The bottom line is that the Falken ZEIX ZE310 can be safely considered as an alternative to the current MG approved tyres when fitted in sets of four and operated at the recommended tyre pressures for the MGF or TF.

10 Jun 2019

Article sent in by Michael Anderson

I have the feeling that the MGF came out with directional tyres. In the case of the TF which has 16” tyres this was certainly the case.

From my experience with all my cars (be they MGs or whatever) I tend to ensure that the tyres back and front are all matching because they all have different handling characteristics which can result in the way they handle on the road.

In our TF (with its 16” wheels/tyres I purchased something called “Z” from Beaurepaires)…. They are NOT directional and the car handles perfectly. We have done 19,000 kms to date with absolutely no problems whatsoever. They were described to me as being “middle of the road” tyres in respect of price…..and not suitable for racing on the track. Judging by the wear to date they will do over 40,000 kms I believe before having to replace them.

Perhaps you could check with Beaurepaires to see whether they have your sizes for your 15” wheels.

Cheers

Bill Denize

Tyre's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsKkk7rvOQA and http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/tyres/index.htm

George Walter

One thought I had, “why is only one tyre wearing out? It may not be the new tyres at fault but something structural “.

Just a female’s point of view!,

Regards,

Gay Baxter

Nothing wrong with a females's point of view! Good question. Both tyres were, in fact, showing wear but one was worse and with a long holiday in the S Island coming up, I decided to play safe and get new tyres and also fix the existing size mismatch. Subsequent checks of the toe-in have not thrown up any potential problems.

Peter

Please see this article re MGF/TF tyres. https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/news/mg-tf-tyres-continuing-story

I have a pair of the Falken ZEIX ZE914 on the rear of our F which I got from Principal Tyres on Wall Place Porirua last year. https://tyreline.co.nz/principal-tyres/

They perform very well. They cost $438 for the pair fitted and balanced.

Richard Whitehead

....and on the front? Interesting that you found 15 inch Falkens.

Peter

Half worn Bridgestone Potenza RE040 they seem to be discontinued with 050A replacement https://www.bridgestonetyres.co.nz/tyres/potenza-re050a

Richard

Posted By: Peter Fleming, 5 Apr 2021 10:13 am

MG Wellington are Proud Sponsors of: 

Cancer Logo

MoST Content Management V3.0.8634