About us | MG Car Club
The MG Car Club (Wellington Centre) Inc. is affiliated to the MG Car Club UK. We have been in Wellington for well over 50 years. The club caters mainly for MG car enthusiasts but we also welcome anyone with an interest in classic cars.
Our current membership is around 200 members.
We organise numerous events for our members throughout the year e.g.
- Dinners once a month
- Noggin and Natter, a social drink with a guest speaker each month
- Easter event (usually in New Plymouth) where we meet up with the Auckland MG Car Club members for a fun weekend of low key competitions including a Show and Shine (Concours), fun trial, motorkhana and autocross, ending up with a prize giving dinner on the final night.
- Monthly OSH (Old Speckled Hen) day time social runs on the last Thursday of the month
- Various weekend runs from time to time, including the Cecil Kimber birthday run (founder of MG marque), daffodil day run to the Wairarapa, combined runs with other car clubs from time to time, participation in British and European Car Day at Trentham in February.
- We also run the largest classic car race in New Zealand in November each year. This year will be our 33rd running of this event and there will be around 300 competitors at the meeting at Manfeild, Feilding. Our club has a separate committee for organising this big event. This year's event is spread over Friday 9, Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 November 2018 and anyone can attend this event at Manfeild as a spectator. There are lunchtime rides on the Sunday and all moneys raised from this activity go to the Cancer Society and Karahands
- In May we also run a smaller classic car race event at Manfeild with a gold coin spectator entry charge and all of this money goes to the Cancer Society and Karahands too
- Over the years have raised more than $100,000 in donations for these two charities from the above events.
- We have entered MG classic cars as part of the Tawa Xmas Parade for over 30 years and this is followed by a Christmas BBQ for all MG Car Club members.
- In February 2020 we will be running the MG Nationals here in Wellington and expect to have well over 100 MG cars at this event (from all over New Zealand) which will be run over 4/5 days.
We are an open club, in that we welcome membership from MG owners and enthusiasts alike, with no fixed requirement to be a current owner of an MG, although you are very likely to become "MG infected" over time.
To qualify to be a member you need to be a genuine admirer and/or friend of the marque, and/or a classic sports car enthusiast and a nice person as well. Memberships are only accepted after review by the Executive Committee, whose decision is final.
We are truly eclectic and cater for MGs of all types and vintages, from the very old to the very new, we care only that you care.
We have a strong membership both in terms of size & MG enthusiasm.
We have low cost membership fees, $60.00 single, $70.00 joint and $80.00 for single/joint with 1 or more children under 18. The subs are maintained deliberately low and events are often subsidised to maximise participation. To access a membership form click here
We are an incorporated society and are affiliated to the U.K. MG Car Club as well as enjoying good working associations with the MG Car Clubs of Auckland, Canterbury and Otago.
We have been in official existence since 1961 and are financially secure and debt free.
Benefits derived by members include subsidies which tend to offset the membership fee, but we do charge for membership to ensure we get genuine MG'ers. You are encouraged to participate actively in the Club to gain the full benefits.
We have close working relationships with a number of Car Clubs, in particular the Healey Car Club and the Morgan Sports Car Club, as we believe that the sport of motoring is wider than any particular sectional interest.
We are affiliated to the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile, aka FIA, affiliated local body, MotorSport New Zealand Inc.
We see our role as promoting the sport of motoring in general through promotion and activities loosely centred on the MG, and we get involved in all manner of activities that generally promote or protect the sport of motoring.
We hold a variety of Events in the course of the year, to cater for all tastes, as described in general terms in the Coming Events and Calendar pages herein. Our aim is to be sure that we have at least one event every month and to achieve that goal with variety and style.
MG Car Club, (Wellington Centre) Inc.
MG Classic Motor Racing
e.Mail to MGCC Wellington